Sunday, April 19, 2009

West Forsyth


Last week I had the privilege of speaking to Mrs. Sarah Garcia's 10th graders at West Forsyth High School. They were a great audience: attentive, appreciative, and cooperative.

I will not assume to talk for them, but as for me, I had a blast. Mrs. Garcia even allowed me to teach a little bit! (She doesn't know me that well.)

So I taught some point of view. I defined it the way Atticus does to Scout: "'you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - ' ... ' - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.'" So I had the class go into their backpacks or purses and pull out an item. Then, we wrote about life from the item's point of view. In the picture above I am giving the example I wrote the night before about life as my pen. After that, I let them go for it. Here is me checking out Tina's.

From my perusing I read a bunch of great starts. Some wrote as their pens, their gum, their calculators, one guy wrote as his running shoe, another as his skeleton key. It was great. Sarah sent me Paige Ehlers as her umbrella. It was fantasitc! Here is a photo of it. Click on it to read it.







2 comments:

Lee said...

You must be a good teacher that piece really is great.

Rich and Renee Erickson said...

Tell Paige to bring her umbrella to China. The girls here really like to protect their skin from tanning because they believe white is beautiful. (strange idea) Anyway, umbrellas here get to experience the sunshine as well as the rain.

mama erickson