Monday, September 21, 2009

Help, My Wife is a Triathlete

Lia made the transformation from extraordinary female to extraordinary female triathlete this past Sunday. She competed in the Angels Foundation Triathlon at Tanglewood. It was a sprint distance: 300 meter swim, 20 kilometer bike, and 5 kilometer run. She finished in 1:25. Pretty impressive in my opinion.

When I took this picture, I was running beside her. She appears happy and at ease. However, I learned later she was actually at that moment fighting off a stomach cramp. About five seconds after this picture she told me to leave her alone because I was stressing her out! For some reason the fact that I was sprinting by her in our double jog stroller made her feel worse.

What can I say? I was excited. I may have lacked compassion and come across a little over zealous. At least I was behaving in character. How could I react any different? I was watching my wife fulfill one of her lifelong goals. And she was doing with style. The bike photo below captures it I think. Here she is: zooming up the hill, gliding into her second transition, smiling from ear to ear. What joy! What an accomplishment! And one thing is sure, one triathlon will not be enough. I caught her perusing websites last night before bed.

No comments: