Monday, November 30, 2009

Turkey Trot

We headed up to the land of the Scarlet and Gray for an O-H-I-O Thanksgiving. It was a great holiday even if two days ago, on the return trip, we vowed never to go on a road trip again until our children were out of diapers. Like I said, it's been two days, and to my surprise the trauma of travel is already wearing off. I've already looked at the calendar for the next time we might be able to snag a chance to visit Lia's family. Our friend Julie Bell says that just as mothers get childbirth amnesia (and therefore voluntarily go through the agony over and over and sometimes over again), parents get traveling-with-children amnesia. I am a case in point.

Truth is, Columbus is a cool town, only made the better because Rich and Sue (Granddaddy and Grammy) Simpson live there (along with Lia's sister Cara and her family). We seem to have a great time every time. This time was no different (plus the entire family was able to come).

The above picture was taken after one of those aforementioned great times. Lia and I ran in the annual "Original" Turkey Trot. Everywhere I saw the word "original" as it corresponded with this particular run, there were quotation marks around it (which I think means that it really isn't the original). Strange. It is certainly the first in proximity to Lia's parent's house.

Lia and I ran well, both earning finisher medals and a pumpkin pie for being two of the first two thousand runners (you read that right). We left both the medals and the pies at Lia's folks' house (oops). But we also received outdoor performance longsleeve t-shirts, which was all we really wanted and the only real reason for why we signed up. We remembered these. I am wearing mine as I write this. Lia wore hers under her running vest (Lia suffers from that age old condition of cold torso, warm arms). Oh, and while you are examining the photo, yes, those are pictures of sushi on my hat (I have no explanation). If you take a look at the look on the gal to the right of me (photo left) you will see she has no explanation either.

1 comment:

Lee said...

John 16:21 confirms the childbirth amnesia theory, but I don't think I've ever experienced it. But I have experienced traveling with wee ones amnesia. I've done a lot of it, and it's not always hard, so maybe the okay overrules the "let's never do this again." You just learn to plan on stopping and taking a long break every two hours, even if it's a five hour trip. You'll never "make time" but think of all the cool roadside sights you'll see and be able to blog about.