Monday, October 21, 2019

UPDATE Week of October 21

Brianne celebrates with Host Mom and Host Sister after her Host Churc'h's 5k RAH - the Run Against Hunger

GOOD TIMES

Monday. We shuffled things around a bit this week. After work, instead of going to Round Table, the Fellows join my wife and I and about 500 of our closest friends at the Annual Young Life Banquet. 


Ned and Sallie Harrison (Jessica Baker's Mentor - and Aly Hall's Mentor from last year!)

It was the first banquet I have attended that was not at the Benton Convention Center. This year, the event took place at the Lawrence Joel Veteran's Coliseum. Other than the temperature, it was a great move!

It is so fun for me to expose our Fellows to community events like this. They may not be big donors this year - but they are now in the loop about one of the things God is doing in our city!

Former YL Staff

Tuesday. It was a multiple coffee date day for me. I asked Hef if it would be cool if I could spend a little extra time at home with the family before heading to Round Table which was at her house. 

She graciously granted my request. 

Hef and CT the hosts with the mosts
It was warm enough for us to have Round Table by the fire. 

Rocking some S'Mores

I think we get along

Greg, Brianne, Jacob and I kept watch over the fire until late.

A great night was had by all...

Wednesday. Another shake up in the schedule! Leader Lunch was moved to Friday! In its place, I attended the funeral of one of my heroes - Ward Miller.

Ward was the model of the kind of person we are equipping our Fellows to become

What a worshipful send off. God bless you, Ward.

Thursday. Was another meeting filled day. At 5pm my daughter had her last Field Hockey game of the year. A big win over Reagan High School. Go Summit Eagles!

The Team

What a treat to be in the stands to watch Anna Rose play. She is the smallest, most aggressive girl on the pitch. I'm so proud of her, playing against 10th Graders as a 7th Grader.

Unfortunately, I missed a Leadership Winston-Salem Event at Venture Cafe. I'm sure they were able to hold down the fort without me. Still haven't figured out how to be two places at once....

That night, we interviewed a new recruit. More on her in a bit. 

Friday. We wrapped up our final class with Ben Milner. Then, I covered the sociogical history of the world from 800BCE to 2100CE. It only took an hour. Ha!

JM drove Brianne from class to Leader Lunch

Safety First
Leader Lunch was with the staff at the Barnabas Center: Clyde Godwin, Ben Jones and Kristin Leathers. 

Kristin knows JM from his Mount Airy days. 

The gang with Clyde. And special guests Meghan and Kara!
It was a drink from the fire hose kind of day. I was proud of the Fellows for hanging in there. 

So thankful for Ben Milner and Barnabas Center for pouring it on the Fellows!

Saturday. Many of the Fellows took part in the Annual RAH. The Run Against Hunger race. Some ran. Others volunteered. A great time was had by all. 

Brianne and her host mom Brandy
Basking in her second place in her age group achievement
We snuck up to the mountains for a twenty-four hour getaway. 

Thanks John for the new hat!
The trees are starting to change




Anna Rose was at a sleepover so David enjoyed all our attention
That night, we had the Fellows as well as some alumni over for some soup and pumpkin carving over at the White House on Meadowlark (we haven't named it yet). It was a ton of fun. 


David and I

Matching kouzies

Haley
Anna Rose
Brianne

Reiley

David

Abby

Ned

David looking out over his domain


RECRUITMENT

We enjoyed interviewing our second applicant of the year. Meghan was pretty cool I must say...

If you know of men and women who would be great Fellows, believe it or not - it's time to start talking. Please connect them to Hef or I (a good email would be winstonsalemfellows@gmail.com)



GIVE

We definitely need your support! In the next few weeks you will likely be solicited for your donation. You can wait until then - but why?

You can support the work now!

Here is how:

checks to 
Winston-Salem Fellows
PO Box 27120
Winston-Salem, NC 27120

or on line at
wsfellows.com/give

Fellows alum Trent and his fiance Jess Krauss want you to support this!
thank you!



THIS WEEK

Mattie was down in her old stomping grounds at Wofford over the weekend for homecoming.
I told Lia that I feel like we are in a restful season. She looked at me like I was crazy!

Trying to settle things down a bit this week. Here are a few highlights...

Monday. Meeting with Salem Chapel about potential Church Collaboration. Lunch with a Fellow. Round Table at the Spanglers

Tuesday. Meeting with Videographer. Rotary. Jack Larsons B-Day Partay. 

Wednesday. Meet with Board Member. Leader Lunch with Steve Lineberger. Bible Study and YMCA Board Retreat. 

Thursday. Lunch with a Fellow. Host Family Dessert. Lights On Afterschool with GIDE. Q Commons at Venture Cafe. 

Friday. Classes in the morning. Possible trip to UNC for Wilberforce Conference. 

You see? So restful. 




MORE



Kristin and JM making connections

Line-up - you would think I would be able to fit them all in


Can't wait to marry these two


Love this guy

Hef is the best


Patio life


Bouldering Break


Enjoying the fellowship at the Barnabas Center


Lia and I were wearing out tights. 

They are changing. ever so slowly


Brianne and host sister

reppin the Sunshine

No comments: