Thursday, February 07, 2008

Bet

Winnie has now been with us for two and a quarter years. She was found by a dumpster in Walsenburg, Colorado on September 16, 2005, a three day old pup of an unspecified mutt of a mother. She was eight weeks old when Lia brought her home from the rescue. The above picture was taken shortly thereafter.
I was less keen on the decision than she was (an understatement). We had recently gone through the pain of losing our fourteen year old extremely well-bred English Springer Spaniel, Chelsea, and I confess I wasn't emotionally prepared for another longterm relationship. However, Lia was on a mission, and so against my better judgement I allowed her to go on her own to choose us a next pet. I left her with the instructions that I wanted the largest, fattest, laziest dog in the pound, something that would keep my feet warm as I wrote. She said, "Sure thing," and proceeded to disobey every word.
Winnie was energetic from the start (an understatement). She took her first nap, I think, when she was three months old. And she took everything out of me. It didn't help that when I asked the vet her opinion on what breeding background Winnie might have she said that she looked to be mostly jack russell terrier and had a winning chance of making it to 25 lbs someday. Just what I needed.
I started feeding her triple the prescribed amount and added stretching and calisthenics to her already rigorous natural training regimen. Winning chance...I wasn't going to give up without giving it a fighting one...
By her one year birthday, she was 45 lbs, stood as tall as any lab, and was faster than every dog, every dog, at the dog park. She could catch a frisbee like a champion. During the spring, summer and fall, I show off her leaping prowess for the neighborhood as we wait for Lia to come home from work. She jets across two lawns, launches all four feet off the ground, snatches the disc, ducks around a looming oak tree, and sprints back to my feet to await the next toss. She has become the most obedient dog I have ever been a part of training. One whistle and she comes flying to your side. She is patient and passive with the most vicious of children. She has never growled a day in her life. She takes long naps (not at my feet). Her one behavioral question mark is her ardent tongue. She is one heck of a licker. "Fastest tongue in the west," is what I usually say. We have been able to do little to assuage her ferver.
All in all, Lia made a wonderful choice. We love Winnie. She is family. Yet we still have this ongoing debate on what she is. Is she part pit bull, greyhound, boxer, border collie, lab, jack russell? If there was only a way to find out...
Well, it turns out there is. We were at the vet yesterday and learned of a test you can take to find out your dogs exact breeding. Eric, our vet, said he had always wanted to try it out but had never found a pet owner willing to go through with it. "We will," I said without even consulting. Didn't have to. Lia said it at the exact same time.
So the blood test went out in the mail this morning. We should know in a couple weeks. And so, I ask you: what do you think? What is Winnie? What is this love child of two mutts?
We'll see...let us know what you think. We're giving a prize to the winner.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

My guess is:
Terrier, Boxer, Black Lab.

Anonymous said...

Lia: lab x greyhound x border collie x pit bull

Unknown said...

Aunt Melanie:

Black Lab, border collie, pitt bull terrier

Anonymous said...

Sue Simpson says boxer, pit bull and lab.

Anonymous said...

My guess is a mix of: lab, boxer, greyhound, border collie, chiuahha, terrier, pit bull, mutt, sheltie, golden, jack russel, and/or huskie.

love, ct

The Logsdons said...

I'm not entirely sure Winnie is all dog. No dog I have ever seen has been able to scale up 20 foot vertical rock cliffs! My guess is:

Boxer x Mountain Lion x Firecracker!

:)

Ned Erickson said...

ned's vote: whippet, jack russell terrier...or maybe a pit bull, whippet...yes, a BULL WHIP!

Anonymous said...

Our bet on Winnie:
Lab + Border Collie + Boxer = pure and simple, wonderful and athletic Winnie
(sweetness and obedience from Lab, speed and agility and markings from Border Collie, square face and short hair and enthusiasm from Boxer)
I think we're right!
WE CAN'T WAIT to find out!
You guys are awesome!
We miss you so much,
Love,
Beth, Pearl, and Ella

Anonymous said...

My guess is: pit bill & terrier

Anonymous said...

I feel so terrible for leaving you in a box at the shelter, but I had to do it. I could not care for you and your brothers and sisters. I am so thankful that Lia rescued you and that you have been accepted into such a loving home. I wish I could bark this to you in person but, Winnie, your daddy was a pit bull, whose daddy was whippet, whose momma was a boxer, and i, a border collie.
Border Collie: Desire to herd
Boxer: Desire to play-fight
Pit Bull: Desire to lick
Whippet: "Whip it Real Good"
xoxo
bobo

Anonymous said...

i am going to guess: boxer, lab and greyhound. can't wait to find out! (derik and bree)

Anonymous said...

boxer, lab and greyhound - keep us posted!
bree & derik

Anonymous said...

John Clevenger:

Poodle-Chow Mix, with a little Bichon Frise.

Anonymous said...

Nadia:

Lab, Whippet, Koolie, and Terrier.

A Place Where I Put Stuff said...

pit bull, greater swiss mountain dog, jack russell terrier, and whippet... so what do i win?

Coach Vish said...

I do not know dogs, so I looked up some pictures and this is what I think:
German Shorthaired Pointer, Jack Russell Terrier, Appenzell Mountain Dog (I really picked this one for the "mountain")

I hope I win!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ned,
I love your blog and I am looking forward to the third Haiti installment! More! More! And Go Davidson! I agree: one awesome school! Love ya! Auntie Dawne

guruslipper said...

Very similiar to our dog, Trigger, also a rescue dog, we are also guessing his breed. Black lab, smooth collie, pitbull or Staffy, boxer, the lanky look maybe a touch of whippet?