Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Crazy One

I thought I was the crazy one. I think we all did. But I have come to the humbling realization that every one in my family is crazier than me. I don't mean crazy in the nut job sense. I still own that title. I mean crazy in the adventurous way.

My little sister started it several years ago when she moved to Macedonia and started living with gypsies. She now lives in Istanbul and lives with gypsies. She also has four kids, which is really crazy. I have one, and that is crazy.

And now, two weeks from now, my parents are leaving for China! Moving to Chengdou where the earthquakes were. They have joined the Peace Corps of all things. Are you kidding me? They're crazy!

And as their son, I couldn't be more proud. Although being the sole Erickson in America is going to take some getting used to. I am thrilled for this opportunity for my folks. What an adventure!
And so, of us all, I have turned out to be the lame one. I live in the suburbs. The closest to danger I get is when I mix the chemicals for the pool, and the most hard core thing I do is go down the slide with my daughter. When and how my family surpassed me, I do not know. I guess I have always looked up to them.

What can I say? I have a crazy family, one I am honored to be a member of. Go get em, team!

No comments: