Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Zero Sum Game


This photo betrays the month it has been. Lia gave me the old: Things can't go on like this speech a few days ago, and I agree. 

The hard part for me to swallow is that life this month has been full with good things. Lots of activities. Great times with friends. And a number of opportunities - I've given twelve talks since March 1. I love giving talks. But I agree, twelve in a month is a few too many.





You see, the thing is it's not really the number of talks. It's the price my family pays when I give them. It often feels like a zero sum game. Like the better one of us does - the worse it is for the rest of us. 

Is that like the fourth law of Murphy?

I don't really know what to do with it. Other than to hope for better balance. The challenge for me is that too often things seem to come my way in feasts and famines. If only opportunities would spread themselves out...

Unfortunately, opportunities come when they come. 

For me, I need to make decisions not solely on the basis of whether I can do them or not. I need to say yes when it is great for all of us. In order to accomplish this: Lia and I are implementing a few new ground rules for Ned. This blog is another way to hold me accountable. It helps to get my desires written some place where I can see them. I have also recruited some fellas to lash me down to my seat when they see I'm getting a bit too excited. 

All this to say that I'm thankful for the opportunities, but there are also things to be thankful for when they don't come.     
  
As I was reminded this weekend: childhood only happens once. 

No comments: