Monday, January 30, 2017

UPDATE - Week of January 23

Christina Sandstedt showing off her bowl balancing skillz. Ned (Photo Bomb Cred)
Some might say we bit off a bit more than we probably should have chewed, and those people were probably right - but golly DID WE HAVE FUN!

What a week!

COMMUNITY

The Fellows sure made their presence felt this week throughout this city. A few highlights:

Rahel, Camille, Christina, Jess, Alex, Melissa Martin (Board Member), and Julia
Round Table: On Monday, we split up guys and gals for Round Table. my great friend and board member Melissa Martin hosted the gals with a fine salmon and salad gourmet meal with probably the most delicious pie I have ever seen for dessert (I stopped by to check in with the ladies before heading to guys time...I did not get any of that delicious looking pie. 

Stephen Edwards hosting the Fellas in his man cave (that currently has a crib in it). 
Another great friend and board member, Stephen Edwards and wife McKenzie, had the guys over for good old beer and pizza - oh! - we had dessert, too! McKenzie made brownies, about the most delicious brownies imaginable. Thanks guys!

Both groups shared about the credo of five - the five adjectives of Old Testament Scripture used to described the character of God: merciful, gracious, faithful, forgiving, and steadfast in love. A great night of fun and conversation. 

G.I.D.E.

Wednesday, we started volunteering with G.I.D.E. Half of us went to the Main Office, while the other half headed to Cleveland Avenue. 

I fell in love with a girl named Zadaiyah.

Dakota barely lost in arm wrestling to Jaylen. 

Jaylen and Dakota
Julia started a dance party in the back. 

It. was. awesome!!!

Bill McClain called me the next day just to tell me how impressed and excited he was with the Fellows. 

OH! And we got shirts! 

We showed them off on Sunday, at the Black Ministerial Alliance Installation Service on Sunday. Speaking of awesome - THAT - was awesome!

Then, it was off to Samaritan Inn to spend the night with homeless friends. 

Half of us went on Wednesday night. The other half went on Thursday. 

I LOVE SAMARITAN INN!

Julia demonstrating proper mopping technique
Ned in the deep pits. Camille with her princess wave.
Dakota reliving his glory days
Julia eating a midnight snack of spinach and black beans. You learn a lot about people when you serve with them!
We had a ton of fun, and not just because I helped manufacture a mind-altering come from behind victory in Spades!

And not just because folks like Campbell stayed up all night because they were simply too fired up to go to sleep!

Donnie, the Manager, wrote me the next morning: "Thanks Ned. The Fellas are a great group with great positive energy. THANKS! Keep coming back. Peace and Love."

Thanks Donnie! Trust me. We will be back!

On Tuesday, Ned, the Director, went freelance and served with Leadership Winston-Salem's Alumni Action Learning Projects. We were few, but we were effective. Thanks Lea Metz and Robert Egleston for inviting me. A great night!

RECRUITMENT

Abbey Sams and Jen Sanders
We had Abbey Sams come in for her final formal interview with us on Monday. The admissions team was impressed. We have extended an invitation. Join us in praying her in!

A special thank you to Jen Sanders who had her over for lunch. It was a wonderful touch. Abbey couldn't stop talking about it.

WAKE RUF

Will Troxler, Dakota Lee, and I provided snacks at the Wake Forest RUF meeting on Tuesday night. Thanks John Bourgeois for inviting us!

Praying specifically for Allie, Antonius, Martha, and Mary Augusta.

Thursday...one got away. I received a message that our candidate coming into town on Friday had decided to go to another program. Darn!

But! The same day, we received another application...and I have a good feeling about this one! PRAY!

RALEIGH YOUNG LIFE

True Inspirations!
I had the opportunity on Sunday night to drive an hour thirty-six minutes east to my friends in Raleigh. Courtney Lancaster let me sit in our their meeting and share a few words about Young Life Camp and the Fellows Initiative.

What a night! What a group! I want to be a Raleigh Young Life Leader! If heaven is like worshipping with Young Life people - I'm IN!

Made several connections. PRAYING BIG TIME that we get Wolfpack Fellows this year! Come on Lord!

LISTEN! WE NEED YOUR HELP! Spread the Word! Anyone, including you, can recruit for us. 

HIGHLANDS




The last month, I've been undergoing a rather rigorous certification training to become a Highlands Ability Battery (HAB) administrator and consultant.

It's been 16 hours of classwork, another 10 or so hours of homework, and requires 4 hours of one-on-one practice debriefs to complete.

If all goes well, I should be official by the middle of February!

The HAB is absolutely amazing! I have never experienced an assessment so objective, so insightful, and so encouraging! I'm excited to share it with the Fellows, and with you!

Let me know if you are interested.

I like how it the process keeps the Whole Person in mind.



Exciting stuff!

I'll be glad when it's over.

THANKS 

Thank you Charley Donohoe for speaking with our Fellows for Leader Lunch this week.

Charlie and Board Member Holly Heath
Charlie has thirty-five plus years in Executive and Career Coaching. You can't beat that if you are a Fellows trying to figure out what you want to do with your life!

Thanks Charley for sharing your story with us!

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS

Adventure Braves with their Adventure Princesses
Saturday was Adventure Princess Daddy Daughter Dance.

Oh what a night!

Anna Rose, Ned, and Joel Zendel
Anna Rose got Runner-Up in the Dance Competition. 


And I think we could have won if I hadn't kicked her in the head when I was doing my back spin!


Georgia, Anna Rose and Adelaide
Earlier that day, we went bowling for David's first of several birthday parties that we'll be having for him. 



The dude bowled a 114! Go Dave Dave!



 PRAYER

Pray for Fellows!
- Current, as they are starting to think about Next Things
- Future, that they would be drawn to our program

Pray as we make decisions about a Mission Trip this Spring!

Pray as we take more time to breathe this week.

On that note, as soon as I push send on this update - I'm heading to the mountains for some solitude.

THANKS ALL!

Keep up the support!

Keep spreading the love and sharing the story!

And for all of you who have read to the bitter end of this Update...a little video for you!


No comments: