Tuesday, January 17, 2017

UPDATE Year 1 - January 16

The time is always right to do what is right - Martin Luther King Jr.

One of our Mentors, Michelle Schapira, begins her day
A GREAT DAY

Leader Lunch: Terrance Hawkins told a story this week about one of his mentors. I'm blanking on her name, but I remember she is an old woman from Chicago who you'd never imagine by lookng at her that she was an activist.

She said, "When we die, the question Jesus will ask us is: 'Where are your scars? Was there nothing worth fighting for?'"

The lunch only got better from there.

Thanks Terrance for your raw, deliberate passion for this city and for the people in it.

Thank you Leadership Winston-Salem for the venue.

It was one of our best Leader lunches yet.

Terrance was amazing - I swear I wasn't checking my email!

Center for Creative Leadership: Instead of meeting at the main campus of CCL for our professional development course - we met instead at BREAKOUT off of Wendover Avenue for some group dynamics work.

Winston-Salem Fellows and Greensboro Fellows United

If you don't know about BREAKOUT of ESCAPE ROOM or things of that nature - they are hour long problem solving activities that challenge your group skills, your nerves, and your wits in order to get out in time.

I placed myself with Will Troxler, Dakota Lee, and Camille Stogner (the A Team). Unfortunately, we were placed in "The Hostage Room." In one hour we had to get our handcuffs and blindfolds off (we were handcuffed and blindfolded!) and unlock the code sequences to figure out a way to get out of the room before the Imaginary Bad Guys come back.

It was NOT easy!

But we were able to get out with a little less than three minutes to spare.

Camille, Ned, Will and Dakota out in the nick of time
Rahel, Alex, Christina, and Sean out in the nick of time
(not pictured: Reese, Julia, Jessica and Campbell... It appears they are still Kidnapped!)

It really was a great experience. Hopefully, not practical! But it was a fabulous way to think through problem solving and group dynamics. This will be key as we move into our Capstone Projects for the year.

ANOTHER GREAT DAY!

Thank you for praying for me. Speaking at the YMCA Annual Giving Campaign was a big success. I used a quote that I had written down from Dabo Swinney after the Clemson victory last Monday. He said: "I told them the difference in the game tonight was going to be love. My word all year has been love. I said, 'Tonight, we are going to win it. I don't know how we are going to win it. But we are gonna wit it because we love each other.'"

So good. I wasn't a Clemson fan (although I was cheering for them) before the game - but I am now!

(My condolences to all you Alabama fans. Take heart. I'm sure you'll be in the final four again next year.)

From there, I had my second breakfast with Steve Lineberger. We have been acquaintance friends for years - but it really was the first time we actually sat down with each other.

Two hours later! I think I speak for both of us in saying - we are true friends. What a special time. Thanks Steve for offering it!

That led to a great coaching session with fellow, Dakota Lee.

Then, off to take David to tennis where I left him and went for a run - which led to a literal run-in with Peter Barnes. A sweeter time it could not have been.

In one day: Community Engagement, Business Discussion, One-on-one Discipleship and Coaching, and Church Connecting. That's the Fellows...

And it's all built on friendship. 

DATE NIGHT

Nigel and Sarah - two of the best
Lia and I had a special treat on Saturday. We invited Nigel and Sarah Alston to go to see the movie Hidden Figures with us. And they said YES! What a wonderful time and what a wonderful movie! My allergies were acting up or something though - I couldn't stop my eyes from leaking!

And if you haven't been to the Grand to enjoy their new recliner seating - wow!

Another sweet part: Christina, Jessica, and Rahel also joined us. We took them across the street for drinks and dessert at Providence Restaurant (a very cool spot created by the Second Harvest Food Bank and partners). I recommend the cheesecake. Man!

Nigel says he once had a coat just like mine
I'll let you decide
He certainly wears it better than I do!

RECRUITMENT

Faith is taking the first step even if you don't see the whole staircase. - Martin Luther King Jr.

The good news is that programs across the country are ahead of they usually are. Those are great indicators for us.

We are on the lower side of the spectrum. So there's a great spot to pray!

Yesterday, we interviewed our third candidate, and we have a few more in the pipeline.

AND! IF YOU KNOW OF POTENTIAL CANDIDATES - LET ME KNOW!

QUICK LINK TO INVESTING

http://www.wsfellows.com/give/

OR Mail Checks to

WS Fellows
851 W. 5th Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

OR Credit Card - email Ned at winstonsalemfellows@gmail.com

LOOKING FORWARD

We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now. - Martin Luther King Jr.

- Interviews the next several Mondays - PRAY for Interviews and Recruiting!
- Leader Lunch with the staff of YMCA this Wednesday
- Starting a new class on Faith and Culture this Friday with Dr. Clay Cooke.
- Samaritan's Inn next week.
- Christmas Tree Bonfire this Saturday!
- PRAY for Fellows as they move toward future prospects.
- PRAISE! For Campbell who has transitioned to Boosterthon. A great fit! In Campbell's words: "I walked into a room full of Campbells!" Ha!
- PRAY for Next Year's Class - 12 folks. 6 guys, 6 gals.
- PRAY for wisdom as we finalize details on possible Mission Trip.
- PRAY as I continue my certification process for the Highlands Ability Battery. (the HAB).

Also! You should all be getting an email announcement very soon about two new books!

Snow Fun
Adelaide and Anna Rose
Snow Cream



No comments: