Monday, March 06, 2017

UPDATE - Week of February 27

Alex made a surprise visit to Chattanooga and handed Morgan Bonds some Fellows love
REAL LIFE

What comes to your mind when you see those words? Real Life

For you - is it the daily grind? Is it the ordinary, the mundane, the stuff of life? Is it the mess, the hard, the challenges? Is real life for you "just the way it is?" 

If we are honest, real life is all that. 

Life isn't one epic adventure after another. 

And yet, I believe real life really is a daily adventure. Real life is an invitation to live as you were intended to live in the normal and mundane and every day. Real life is to know there is a greater story going on and that you play a vital role. 

Real life is not a program. Real life is living for real...on purpose. 

That's what we are working on this month with the Fellows. Less program. More purpose. 

I invite you to join us!

The Week That Was

Steve Beck keeping the peace
We completed our Peace Making class at Salem Presbyterian Monday night. Steve Beck as usual poured gasoline on the fire then showed us how to put it out.

Camille, Jessica, Christina, Alex Julia, Campbell, Reese, John Dickenson, Will, Dakota and Sean
John Dickenson, my dear brother and Fellows Board Member, came and met with us Wednesday for our Leader Lunch.

A couple gems from our time:

"When you have that radical faith, you know that whatever you have lost, it WILL grow back better."

"Surrender. Know Him for who He is and not what you want Him to be. This is the cornerstone to have a successful life."

"Don't be selfish with your goals. You must have a posture of obedience."

"Lead in the little things. If you are faithful in the little things, God will trust you with the big things."

Thanks John!

No photo of this...but I had a fantastic time with future Fellow Patrick McCarthy. He and I had an experience at the Sovereign Lodge of the International Order of Odd Fellows (with the unfortunate acronym IOOF) that I don't think either of us will probably ever forget. Unbelievable things are happening in this city. Unbelievable...

Thanks Alfaro's for donating your faces
On Thursday, I attended the Winston-Salem State Career Fair. It was an honor to be there. So many young, inspiring men and women. Join me in prayer as I am hoping we receive three or more applications!

Christina caught on camera during lunch break at work

Jessica and Rahel eating some of Rahel's favorite things

Randy and Paula
Reese helped lead a group of Middle Schoolers from Hope Presbyterian and Redeemer on a work project day at Solus Christus. 

Jessica at Senior Services
 Jessica helped put together an Art Show at Senior Services on Saturday


Amelia Earhart
 Anna Rose performed as Amelia Earhart in the Living Biographies program in her 4th Grade.

Bengt Carlson
One of my best buddies, Bengt Carlson (Wake Forest grad) spoke to the Chattanooga Fellows on Friday.


Frank Thomas and Ned
 The Ericksons went to High Point to join our brothers and sisters at Mt. Zion Baptist Church for worship yesterday. David asked me, "Why is that man yelling?" I said, "What did you say? I can't hear you."

It was awesome. Frank is one of the best.


ISRAEL

We are in the middle of fundraising for our Missions Trip to Israel. Please consider helping us. You can send checks to

Winston-Salem Fellows
851 W. 5th Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Or give online: http://www.wsfellows.com/give/

Or email me if you have some odd jobs, babysitting, yard work...anything!!!


THE WEEK AHEAD

Monday, we will be interviewing another Fellows Candidate. Please join us in prayer for what's best for Caleb McKillop.

Also Monday, we will be enjoying a Round Table at John and Pat Gerstmyers. Very Excited about that. John is Campbell's mentor.

Wednesday we have a Leader Lunch with David Daggett and Griffis Shuler. Should be amazing.

Also Wednesday, we will be volunteering once again with G.I.D.E.

Thursday, several of us will be going to Aperture to watch I Am Not Your Negro.

Friday, we will have class with Dr. Cooke.

Saturday, we are invited to attend a public conversation about Loving Our Muslim Neighbors.

Exciting stuff.

PRAYER

Prayer is so important to the life and, frankly, the existence of the Fellows. Please choose a time in your calendar to pray for the Fellows every week.

I'm putting down a reminder to pray at 12:12 every day.

Specific needs:
- 13k for Israel
- 18k to complete our fiscal year budgetary needs
- 12 Fellows for next year
- the Right Next Thing for each of our current Fellows

General needs:
- for wisdom as I meet with individuals in this community and listen to their dreams
- for open doors for the Fellows
- for favor across this city
- for opportunities to make an impact.

One Last Thing.


If you are interested in learning more about this assessment and what it can do for you, let me know.

Last story. 

I was getting lunch with one of my best friends on Friday at Chipotle. He had pre-ordered. He's that kind of guy. Another great friend of mine was five people in front of me. We exchanged a text greeting and then fist bumped. As I was finishing up my order, the man in front of me at the cash register started acting really flustered. Turned out someone had paid for his meal. I realized it was my friend who must have been trying to pay for MY meal, but the lady behind the cash register had picked the wrong customer! I started laughing and before you know it both the customer and the cash register lady were looking at me. I said, "The free meal was most definitely meant for him." The man put his cash back in his wallet (after giving the cash register lady a tip), and I got a story which is ten times better than getting a free lunch (which is saying something).

No comments: