Tuesday, March 24, 2009

All Night Long

Two weeks ago I slept with another woman all night long. The all night was the most amazing part. Because the woman was Anna Rose. We went camping down the basement. Lia, the rational one, decided to forego the sleeping bag for the bed. But A-Ro and I braved it.

To make things more interesting we had Mexican for dinner.

We decided to let Anna stay up a bit later than usual. Wake Forest happened to be playing that night. She likes watching basketball. We got to halftime. It wasn't looking pretty. The Deacs. They were not looking pretty. So A-Ro and I cashed in our chips. We read Harold and the Purple Crayon and an Oliver Jeffers book called Lost and Found then said our prayers and fell asleep. I did. A-Ro must have about the same time. Our heads were still touching the way they had been when we were reading books four hours earlier. I placed a blanket on her and managed to maneuver myself to comfortable. I woke up again around three in the morning. She was sleeping peacefully perpendicular to me. At five she woke up. I think it was crying David that did it actually. But she was wired. And I was not ready. So I took her upstairs, prepared her some milk, carried her back down to the tent and handed her Harold. I said, "Read yourself a book, I'm going to bed." Which is what I did. I drifted off to the turning of pages and Anna Rose's unique lilt whispering and the moon went with him. I woke up at 8:30 feeling refreshed. Anna Rose was sleeping perpendicular to me, her head on my rib. She woke up a few minutes later. I could hardly believe we had done it.
Operation next time: the backyard.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Anna Rose is adorable (and so are you Ned), but we haven't seen David since the day he was born. Pictures please!