Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Emails from China - 1

Just returned from a whirlwind trip to China. My parents live there (Go Go Peace Corps!). And I was finally afforded the time to puddle jump over the Pacific (or perhaps the Arctic (I think we may have flown north)) to visit them. It was three days of travel and four days of visiting, but it was more than worth it. We fit in more stuff in four days than I usually do in a month. So much that I don't know how best to chronicle it here. The plan for now is to record it through emails to Lia (edited...I'll save you the mushy stuff, most of it.) (Come back later to see more photos...My parents should be sending me theirs). Anyhow, here goes:

May 27th night:

I made it! I'm brushing my teeth and getting ready to bed.
Life is good. Miss you lots. Write more tomorrow.
Ned

May 29th morning:

Leela,

We had a full day yesterday. After breakfast I went to my mother's class. She taught for the first half. I answered questions for the second half. It was a lot of fun. The kids were great. Then we took a bus ride out of town to the other campus for lunch with students. Food was great. This little outdoor "restaurant". The craziest thing I ate was crawfish. But we also had things like mashed potatoes and a dish that tasted like french fries. The food was great to be honest. Then, we came back and visited with a couple students who were practicing Chinese. That was a bit painful because I was about to pass out from being so tired. But the kids were nice. It was definitely fun to see my parents in action. They are most beloved. Everywhere we go. Seriously, they are like the rock stars of Chongqing or wherever we are. I think it is Yuchuan (actually Yongchuan). Then we played ping pong for a couple hours with some students. That was a ton of fun. They have about fifty tables. Everyone is filled. Praise Buddha, I managed to hold my own!

Then we ate dinner for my father's birthday . Ate this "cake". With "icing" they drew an "old man". Tasted like foam and pineapple. The "forks" are toothpicks.

A student from another school came (Gary).


Then we headed out for a performance. It was like a variety show of skits. I was in the front row. (Like I said, rock star.) Which was great except listening to Chinese and the warmth and the jet lag definitely was putting me to sleep. I survived. It was entertaining which was helpful. The biggest laugh came from this guy dressed in drag. He started with a leg routine from behind a curtain. The Chinese have such nice legs and no hair, so it took awhile to figure out it was a man. But once we did, it was hilarious. I didn't understand a thing, but the students were very theatrical and most boisterous. The last skit was a "version" of the Little Prince. They took some liberties. Then we came home and I passed out. My folks are waiting for me to head out for breakfast. I just chugged some instant coffee (not bad). Another full day awaits. I love you.

ned

No comments: