Thursday, August 12, 2010

Emei Mountain


The Beautiful Mountain. This is where we spent our fourth night in China. On top of this 10,000 foot peak that overlooks the other side of the world. It took a hair-raising 2 hours of breakneck serpentines up to the three-quarter point, a sprint to the cable car (the last one of the day...we made it by seconds), and a short walk and there we were: in the middle of the clouds.

Lia and I climbed the stairs to one of the most eerie scenes I have ever witnessed. The centerpiece: a 70 foot tall (it may be taller) golden man/woman buddha that disappeared into the fog.
We were told that the next morning, if we were lucky, the clouds would settle, and we would be able to watch the sun rise through the clouds. I have seen something like this on an airplane, but never with my feet on the ground. It sounded spectacular, but I did not want to get my hopes up. It had rained off an on since we arrived in China. And we had seen more clouds than sun. But we were game. Anyway, sunrise was really 6:20pm for us. We would be wide awake anyways...

As it turned out...we were lucky...





It was truly one of the most amazing sights - God and man-made - of my life.

Charlie and Nicole told us that we were not the most lucky. If we had been the most lucky, there would have been a single flat line of clouds and the sun would have poked through in one place to light them all at once. That does sound pretty awesome. But I told Charlie that I felt we were plenty lucky...after all, there are more wonderful things than sun and clouds...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it's me. haha...
you know who I am, don't you?