Thursday, September 01, 2011

Fifth Graders Rock



Karen, also known as El Presidente of New Growth Press, had this great idea of getting kids to read Clay. So over the last couple weeks, I've had some families take on the task. Thanks Trollingers, Gayles, and Kaufmann's.

After some encouraging reviews, I decided to contact Summit School. I called Bekah Sidden in the Guidance Office to see what interest she might muster up. I was hoping for a few courageous fifth graders. An hour later, Teresa Tsipis, one of the fifth grade teachers, gets in touch with me.

Next thing I know the entire fifth grade is going to not only read Clay, but illustrate it, give me written feedback, and even work with some clay of their own! They're practically building an entire unit around the book!

Last Thursday, I had the chance to speak to them. I had the zoom lens with me, so I only was able to fit half the room.


It was awesome. Bekah told me before the assembly that Teresa (top right) was a little worried that I was too humble and soft spoken for fifth graders. I had to laugh. Never have I been given such flattery.

Humble, soft spoken. I wish. If you can't be excited around fifth graders, who can you be excited around?

If anyone is in Ned's wheelhouse, it's fifth graders. Fifth graders and old ladies. They love me. Everyone else, not so much.

I just hope these fifth graders love Clay. If anything, I know I'll at least get honest feedback!

Here's to you Summit! Thanks! You rock!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!

Coach Vish said...

wow how cool! what a great idea!

Rich and Renee Erickson said...

I agree. Awesome. And I really like that little Clay guy.