Thursday, March 15, 2012

Taking it for the Team




What a roller coaster. We were down when I started watching. Immediately, we take the lead. They take it back. They extend it to 4. We can't seem to get any closer. But they don't seem to be able to extend it either. Then right before halftime, their lead balloons to 8.

I come to the conclusion it's my fault. If I wasn't watching, we would certainly be hitting our 3's. So I go for a 5 miler for halftime. I help Leela in the yard. I check in and we're now down by 12! Oh no. It must be because I'm NOT watching. I flip on TBS. We break into single digits. The lead goes back to 10. Time is running out. Time is running out....time ran out. 69-62. erg.

It all leads to this conclusion: I don't think I had anything to do with the outcome. And you know what? That's all right with me. I'd rather not carry the pressure. On the other hand, had there been something I could have done to influence the outcome - you bet I'd do it - within reason. I can think of a few things I wouldn't do - like shoot somebody or eat lukewarm lard out of a feeding trough or kiss a cobra. You know, things like that.

Believe it or not, the loss provided a teaching moment. At dinner, Anna Rose asked: "Daddy, would you be happy if everything went your way?" Of course, I thought. But then I started thinking about it. I said, "Well, I might be happy for awhile but not always." "Why?" Anna Rose asked. I said, "Well, today Davidson lost the basketball game, so I am sad. If they won, I would have been happy. But the Louisville fans would have been sad. So because I'm sad, the Louisville fans get to be happy."

So basically, today we Davidsonians took one for the team. Not on purpose. Cohen and the boys played their hearts out. And, well, the shots didn't fall. Credit the swarming Cardinal defense. And certainly on our side, there were some big stage jitters (Davidson didn't start any seniors). But in the end, Louisville gets to celebrate. Good job, guys.

And I was reminded of two important lessons (1) that the world doesn't nor should it revolve around me, and (2) that I am not the determining factor for the ultimate success or failure of others. I can cheer. I can support. I can pray even. But what others do or do not do is, in the end, their responsibility for better or worse.

Like I said, a teaching moment...Oh, did you think the lesson was for Anna Rose?

1 comment:

Rich and Renee Erickson said...

Anna Rose does ask some amazing questions. I think she has some of your pondering genes. That's a good thing, I think. Love you all. mom