Sunday, April 05, 2015

Harvey Cedars


Wow! What a weekend we had up at Harvey Cedars with new and old friends from Media Presbyterian Church. It was the first weekend retreat I have led where my parents were able to attend. Whenever I needed a pick me up I just needed to take a look at my mother who was beaming.

I want to introduce you to a great blogger, http://andria-livingstones.blogspot.com

She did an amazing job recording some of the themes from the weekend. Here's one that really speaks to me as I write here on my laptop on the eve of Easter:


In addition to shedding a new light on this particular gospel account, Ned also provided a new way of considering the Sabbath rest.
Many people trace the practice of resting on the Sabbath to God’s act of creation, as recorded in the Book of Genesis.  God created the heavens and the earth and everything in them in six days, and on the seventh day he rested because there was nothing left for Him to do.  His work was finished. 
Where do we hear the echo of these words?  From the cross, Jesus said, “It is finished,” at the time of his death, because he had done everything that needed to be done in order for us to enter into the Promised Land.  With his death, the payment of the penalty for our sins, Jesus made a way for us. Jesus IS the way for us!

Since, then, a Sabbath is a rest, a time when our work is done, Christ has created a Sabbath-rest for us that lasts seven days a week, 52 weeks a year.  We are called to rest from the work of trying to save ourselves, because Christ has finished the work for us. 
Thanks Andria! Here's a few of my favorite pics...




No comments: