Tuesday, December 20, 2016

UPDATE Year 1 Week 17


10 THINGS I'VE LEARNED THIS YEAR...


1. Never circle up around a campfire!

Why? Because the smoke can only go one direction - in your face!

2. When participating in a White Elephant with Fellows - you might end up with a CD visor ripped from one of the Fellow's cars.

The Fellows getting ready for an epic White Elephant gift exchange
We had a good old Christmas throw down for our final Round Table of the year. Julia and I cooked a little breakfast for dinner, which led to a White Elephant. My favorite gift was the "Handipants" gloves snagged by Will Troxler - why he snagged them remains a mystery - why I wish I was able to snag them...a mystery as well.

3. When dining with a distinguished college president embroiled in a college football scandal - wait for them to say the first word!

Dr. Nathan Hatch bookended by Gardner Barrier and me
Our final Leader Lunch of the year was by far our most elegant. Dr. Nathan Hatch was kind enough to host us in the Autumn Room of Reynolda Hall. This was only a day or two after the press release about "Wakey Leaks." 

Dr. Hatch entered the room and before we could introduce him, he goes, "So Fellows, what do you think about Wakey Leaks? Crazy huh?" 

The lunch only got better from there. Thank you Dr. Hatch for your honest candor and wise insights. It was certainly one of our best lunches to date!

Dr. Hatch fits right in!
4. Good Growth is Slow Growth

The Fellows in discussion during our Star Exercise
We finished up our first semester at the Center for Creative Leadership on Wednesday. These sessions have been good, but I had been wondering if the travel (and financial investment) had been worth it. 

At the end of our time together, we stood in a circle and shared one thing that we had learned this semester - and by the end of it, I was convinced it was worth it. Thanks CCL!

And thank you Fellows for trusting the process. 

5. The Fellows have taught me a thing or two (or twelve).

We chose a card that described a "Leadership Challenge.

I said, "I chose this guy because I feel like I am endlessly climbing this mountain. Just when I get through the fall, I need to start gearing up for next year. It's pretty grueling, and as the only staff person I often feel alone."


Then it was the Fellows turn to interpret the card. 

"I see a radical leader."

"I see someone who is willing to put himself on the line."

"I see someone who is willing to face challenges."

"I see someone who needs a rope."

And suddenly, I realized - Wow! this job is actually helping me be the kind of man I want to be. 

I also realized what I really need... a rope!


I need support!

As they say on the rock, "I need someone on belay."

 THAT'S YOU!

When you support this program as a financial supporter, as a volunteer, as a praying friend (AS THREE IN ONE!), you are actually keeping me on the rock!

You are the reason I can keep climbing the mountain!

But if I don't have support - I'm free climbing - and that often does not end well!

So don't forget us.

Please support the Winston-Salem Fellows this year. We need financial support. We need volunteers. And we need prayers...We really need all three.

 Give today!

To donate online CLICK HERE

To give by Credit Card, call Ned Erickson at (336) 413-4918

To set up an ongoing draft, call Ned Erickson at (336) 413-4918

To send a check to the Winston-Salem Fellows

Mail to: 851 W. 5th Street, WSNC 27101

Thank you!

6. I've got a lot to learn

The distinguished Bill McClain teaches us a thing or two (or twelve)
We sat under (not literally) Bill McCain and Ron Pegram for three more hours of mentor training on Friday, and I learned one thing: I have got A LOT to learn!

Thank you Bill and Ron for sharing both your wisdom and your hearts with us! We will not be the same because of it. And we cannot wait to start working with you in the coming year!

7. These Fellows really have made the most wonderful time of the year truly, truly wonderful.

Jessica, Christina and Rahel cheering on Zeni for her indoor soccer game on Saturday.
Dakota "teaching" Sunday School at Salem Pres
"pterodactyl"
Nicknames like "Water Baby"
Attending the Holiday Gift Mart

Anna Rose finding a Walkman and dad's old 80s tapes
 8. When the Community comes together, Great Things Happen.
David helping out at the Holiday Gift Mart




Painting with Trey Sutton, Ethan Carros and Tory Spong
 WHICH REMINDS ME...GO TO CHRISTMAS FOR THE CITY at the BENTON CONVENTION CENTER on WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 21. Anytime between 4-9pm

 9. What makes the Winston-Salem Fellows Program Great is the People.

Winston-Salem Fellows Christmas Party
Last night, we had our first annual Fellows Christmas Party. For the first time, the Board, the Churches, the Mentors, the Host Families, the Teachers, and the Fellows were all together under one roof!

WOW! 

There were a lot of us!

Ned trying to remember chords to Christmas carols
Ned enjoys the company of Paul Allen, one of our Mentors
Camille and her boyfriend John, home from college!
THANK YOU LOCKE AND ANNE GLENN FOR HOSTING!!!!

10. Love wins!

thank you, friends, for joining the journey. 

You are sharing the story...

You have spread the love...

- Pray for future Fellows: 6 guys and 6 gals for class of 2017-18
- Pray for finances: $24,000 to go.
- Pray for safe travels for our Fellows
- Pray for sweet time with family and friends.

Please reach out! I'll be around over the holidays and would love to catch up. 

Thanks all!

Merry Christmas!



















No comments: