Monday, July 09, 2018

UPDATE Week of July 9

Reese and soon to be Julia Schaffner!!!!
This is one of my favorite photos from Year 1. Taken just over 24 hours from the program launch - it was pretty clear that Reese had already fallen in love with Julia. It was a long year for these two, but they did their best to honor the no dating rule. And now...

THEY ARE ENGAGED!



In the shadow of the mountains that served as the venue for their first date - Reese popped the question on the 4th of July. Congratulations! So excited for you two.

MEET LAURA JOHNSON

Laura Johnson

My name is Laura Johnson and I am a Winston-Salem native. I spent the last four years in Greenville, SC attending Furman University where I majored in Politics and International Affairs as well as Religion. I also acquired a minor in Poverty Studies which led me to a summer of working to help the low-income population of Greenville County better access the healthcare system.  I am fascinated by the healthcare system and am seeking a career working in healthcare policy.

While I love comfort and minimal change, I took college as an opportunity to push myself out of my comfort zone and learn in new settings. I spent one semester studying religion in Spain, Greece, and Italy and the next semester in Jerusalem, Israel where I got to read the Land, see the Text, and live the Book. My favorite part about living in Israel was making friends with the Palestinian population and trying a new coffee shop every day. Studying abroad in Israel was by far my hardest semester abroad, academically and emotionally, but I find myself itching to go back.

I’ve spent four summers coaching a summer league team in Winston, the Sherwood Sharks. Being a swimmer my whole life and having spent my childhood at Sherwood, I love sharing my excitement for the sport with kids. It is so satisfying to watch my swimmers improve and be excited about becoming better swimmers. Sherwood is my second home and I can’t imagine a summer without that place.

I find happiness when browsing around a bookstore or sitting at a coffee shop by myself. I come from a family where love of books is mandatory. I love trying out new restaurants and I could eat breakfast for every meal. I believe that meals are essential times where you get to bond with others and build community. Because of that, I love working in the kitchen- I spent much of high school working at my mom’s catering company and store and worked as a cook one summer at Frontier Ranch- a Young Life camp.


RECRUITING

We are taking a hard look at a few candidates to fill our last open spot for this upcoming Fellows year. We interviewed one on Friday during the monsoon. Fortunately, we performed the interview inside. 

Yesterday, after dropping off Anna Rose at her second camp of the summer...


I really didn't want to say good-bye (it's her birthday today)

Anyway, back to recruiting - I had the chance to have lunch and speak to the camp staff at Camp Hollymont for Girls on the way home. 

Their program director Amy Lewellan has become a dear friend. It was a lot of fun speaking to the women. It threw me for a minute that there were only females in the audience! But what a great time of encouragement. We shall see. I hope one applies!

ONE PERSONAL HIGHLIGHT

Rich Simpson

We drove up this week to celebrate Lia's home town's 100th anniversary. Lia's dad, Rich, was the President of the Centennial committee so we got to be a part in the to do. 

Rich and the mayor of Upper Arlington
The plaque

The golden bear they commissioned
One of the golden bear's cubs
And of course the parade...







If I could wave my magic wand, I would use it to convince Lia's dad to run for President. He would be great, and I think he could win. If anyone has a magic wand I could borrow, let me know. 

Other notable moments from the week.

Monday. Great time meeting up with Alex Loy 



Then, my second coffee meeting with Jay McCabe. Jay was one of my Young Life guys back during his Mount Tabor days. Like many of my Young Life guys he has now surpassed me in wisdom and knowledge. 

One very cool thing is that Jay is the new Executive Director of the soon to be Virginia Beach Fellows Program! Seriously, how cool is that? What a joy it has been this spring talking him through all the speed bumps and helping him avoid all the mistakes I made!

Then, it was Program Planning time with Shannon Rainey is basically my assistant director even though I can't pay her. 

From there, it was securing a job for one of our Fellows with NCS and Love Out Loud - what a cool opportunity!

Then, a great meeting with Clyde Godwin and Barnes Harris before jumping into the car to head to Columbus, Ohio for the 4th of July holiday. 

Thursday. We drove back just in time for me to attend the tail end of the Love Out Loud Citywide Leader Meeting at their new offices over at the Salt Box on Ivy. CHECK IT OUT! It's awesome. 

Then, a meeting with Redeemer Pres and our board chair Josh Benoit and staff person Tripp Sanders to talk through logistics for the year. I love watching connections come together. 

Friday was another full day of planning and coordination. Clay Cooke, one of our professors, and also one of my former Young Life guys (he has also surpassed me big time) met to talk through the fall. Then, I had a fabulous coffee meeting with Mike Campbell the CEO of Habitat. What a great guy and friend. We are lucky to have him. Then, a two hour power meeting with Dodd and Becky Drake the Directors of the Greensboro Fellows to share ideas and find ways we can work together. (We do our Center for Creative Leadership Module with them each year). Then, a quick turnaround to interview a fine young woman named Chanice Withers to fill our final Fellows position. (We have two other candidates so we shall see!

Then off to pick up Anna Rose, wash all her clothes, and pack her bags to take her to her second camp!




 Anna Rose became a legend at Camp Cheerio because she caught a bullfrog that was literally the size of a football. This frog in her hand was not the same one.

FINANCE UPDATE

We are three weeks away from the end of our fiscal year. Thank you to all of you who have come around this program with your financial resources. We couldn't do it without you!

Here is how to support us.

Checks to

Winston-Salem Fellows
851 W. 5th St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

 or online at

wsfellows.com/give


LOOKING FORWARD

This week, we are hard at work finding host families and our last few final jobs. I still need a Physical Therapist Tech job bad!

Also, still looking for a professional writing opportunity or grantwriting or development work.

And also looking for a research position or an opportunity with policy.

HELP!

Hope Pres has its VBS so I am tied up every evening with fifth graders (sometimes literally).

And meetings and planning. And a dinner with the Costens that we only have had to postpone twice. NO LONGER. IT IS HAPPENING!!!

And also several parties for our dear friends Tim and Lindsay Musser who are leaving for Senegal to teach and nurse for the next two years. We had their family over for dinner on Saturday. And laughed and cried as we reminisced over memories from the last ten plus years with them as friends.


Franklin County butterfly garden




  
the 4th at Camp Cheerio

Cousins


Wet dog


Dry Dog

Thanks all.

Keep sharing the story and spreading the love.


No comments: