Monday, May 07, 2012

Moon Tidings


We learned that the moon was going to be 14% bigger on Saturday night.

When I say we, I mean Rick Newell. We were in Seattle (where he lives) for a working-sesh and good times weekend.

He is the originator of a golf cartoon strip called Life in the Trap. You should check it out (Oh, and there soon will be an app for that - stay tuned). http://www.lifeinthetrap.com/golfcartoon.php

He and I are also working on a top secret young adult sci-fi trilogy based on this language called Water Tongue (also originated by Rick Newell). http://watertongue.com/

Obviously, it's not so secret since I'm writing about it. I won't keep this secret either - it's really good. Can't wait to get the story out there - stay tuned.

Anyway, back to the 14% bigger moon...So the first thing that comes to Rick's mind is, you guessed it, tides. It just so happens his parents own a place on Puget Sound. From what I understood, the next morning was going to be one of the lowest tides in years.

We got out there about 10:30 (Low tide was at 11:30) and, I'm not going to lie to you, the water was so cold I cried. Now, I've been in some cold water in my day, but this was the first time it brought me to tears. (North Carolina must be making me soft.)

Rick, Rebecca, and Eli out in the middle of Puget Sound


We head out to this sandbar, which eventually just becomes part of the beach and skimboard and look for shells and find sunstars, starfish,

This Purple Sea Star was bigger than my head
crabs, and the craziest of them all - the geoduck (pronounced goo-wee-duck). They are giant clams that have a strange resemblance to the male specimen.

If you have eight minutes to spare, watch the Dirtiest Jobs with Mike Rowe video - it's mind blowing and laced with male potty humor.



geoduck

We tried our best to shovel the geoduck out, but with only our hands and a wiffle ball bat, we didn't stand a chance.

Afterwards, we were treated to lunch by Rick's parents. Then, Rick and I went back to work until dinner. He introduced me to Dick's Burgers on Broadway of Sir Mix-A-Lot fame ("Dick's is the place where the cool hang out" - Posse on Broadway). Then, headed over to a park where I dared Rick to climb this fountain.

 
"The gauntlet has been thrown," was his reply. Next thing I know he's climbing this thing in his Rainbows.

You are the man, Rick!

It was a great weekend. Minus missing Lia and the kids, I could have stayed out there forever. But alas, all great times come to an end.

I took the red-eye and got in this morning. Fortunately, Lia hooked me up with some Ambien (hope she doesn't lose her license over me saying that). All I know is that I'm talking to this Alaskan guy sitting next to me as we are waiting to depart. He says the words "deadliest catch" and I wake up with my head on his shoulder as the plane touches ground in Atlanta.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

It's good to be home.




No comments: