Friday, May 24, 2013

ISRAEL - Part 11 "In Love with this Dude"

I don't usually show my cards like this, but I'm in love with this dude. And if there was a secret purpose to my trip overseas it was to get to know him better. To hang out on his turf. And climb the hills he climbed. And wade in the water and walk in the places he walked even if I got wet by my lack of faith. To do the stuff he did where he did it. I'm not talking about miracles. I'm talking about exploring, walking around, sitting on the rock's he sat on and taking it all in. 


It was incredibly cool to be in Nazareth - that place and time period when Jesus was young and wild and free. It was so easy for me to imagine him on those hills. Playing capture the flag with his friends then hiking  up to the Precipice and spreading his arms wide and leaning into the wind with the world open up beneath him. 


Church of the Annunciation - Nazareth - spreading his arms wide...check it out.


Nazareth is where the Jesus Trail begins. 60 kilometers from here to Capernaum. This being my first trip with Hunter I didn't want to freak him out - but I'm running it next time. In sandals! Just kidding about the sandals. Then again, Jesus did it in sandals...do Chacos count?


It was also easy to see why Jesus chose Capernaum as his base. It's got everything you want:

water 



mountains


open spaces


It solves the age old question: was Jesus a mountain guy or a beach guy? Answer: both. 

My favorite Jesus was this one in St. Jerome's tomb. It's not St. Jerome's altar. I broke that one (long story). And it's not the Holy Innocent's Altar. It might be St. Catherine's. I forgot to write it down. I was flustered. But boy did this Jesus grip me. 



The face.


Possibly my favorite chapel was in Gethsemane. This is the face I found there. 


We learned earlier in the trip that olives are pressed three times to extract their oil. The first that is collected is the Extra Virgin variety. Then more weight is added and more is extracted and that's your every day use stuff. Then even more weight is added until the olives are completely empty. That's for the oil lamps to bring light to the world. Jesus in Gethsemane, which means olive press, asked the Lord three times for this cup to pass from him; three times he was denied; he was pressed three times until he was emptied...amidst these trees to bring light to the world. 


To Jerusalem, we followed the stations of the Cross. 

Simon of Cyrene carries the cross.


Veronica gives Jesus a handkerchief


Jesus comforts the women of Jerusalem.


 Jesus falls a third time.


To Golgotha


I think of what the disciples once said about him: Who is the man? I will never know him fully. But from what I know and what I've seen - I love him. And he loves me. 

No comments: