Wednesday, May 08, 2013

ISRAEL - Part 6 The Food



The staple wherever we went was pitas, hummus, and "salad" which consisted of several plates including marinated red cabbage, cucumber and tomato salad, tabouli, and medley of sweet peppers. These were often accompanied by meat, usually arriving on skewers.

Other mainstays were Schwarma. Basically, meat in a pita.

And falafel, which is basically fried chick pea balls in a pita.

Lots of pitas.

Good thing I love pitas.

A friend of mine advised me to eat falafel in Jerusalem, which is advice well-taken to all of you heading to Jerusalem any time soon. Falafel man's falafel will no doubt ruin every other falafel experience I will have for the rest of my life.

Correct falafel eating technique


Me and the Falafel Man

Some other memorable meals during the trip:

(1) The first morning, I befriended the chef (surprise, surprise) who in exchange for my friendship cooked me up an omelet I will never soon forget. It was your basic pepper, tomato and onion job with one subtle twist. A spice. I knew I knew it. I just couldn't figure out what it was. Finally, I asked him what it was. He said, "Mint." Mint in an omelet. Who would have thunk? Brilliant.

(2) Eating fish heads (it was actually Lia's fish head) by the Sea of Galilee brought back some serious memories from my time in Kenya when I used to eat kichwa cha samaki. It's a Swahili old wives tale that if you eat kichwa cha samaki (fish heads) you get smarter. I was hoping it would help me with Swahili. This time I was hoping I would keep it down.

befriend the fish before eating it
Hunter is hilarious in the background of both these shots
A third meal that I will remember with great fondness, mostly for the company (though the food was exceptional) was with our new friends Gary and Cindy Bayer, perhaps the two most hospitable human beings on God's earth. Much could be said about this couple. I'll leave it at this: they have a simple, clear vision that when realized could quite possibly change the world. It was there we also met the wonderful Erez and Cici (president and first lady of Jerusalem Bible College).

Gary and Cindy
Erez and Cici
A final meal that will remain in my mind was outside Zababida with our Palestinian Young Life friends (more to come on them). I'll also remember it for being my first hookah smoke!

It's all in the stance

Like a pro
Sorry Nancy, I'd photoshop you eyes if I knew how




No comments: