Monday, October 24, 2016

UPDATE Year 1 Week 9

It has certainly been another great week to be a Fellow. 

Alex Loy agrees
Thanks to the Glenn family for opening up their home to us on Monday night for Round Table. Campbell may be down one leg, but he was able to have a full week of Fellows time and work. 

Campbell reluctantly allowing us to sign his cast. 
At Round Table, we read a letter from a Zimbabwe pastor on his way to be martyred. We had a great discussion, but I was unsure how it resonated...then the next day, Jessica posted it on Facebook. Wow. Was that moving!... I'll include the letter at the end of this update. 

LEADERSHIP LUNCH

from left to right: Campbell, Jay Helvey, Will, Reese Alex, Sean, Camille, Julie, Rahel, Dakota, Christina and Jessica 
Unsurprisingly, Jay Helvey did a masterful job sharing his story with the Fellows. He talked about three things: identity, community, and obedience...

I'll tell you. I've always looked up to Jay (not just because I'm short), but the honesty and humility and Kingdom focus this man displays is truly inspiring. Thanks Jay!

Cassia Capital, his company, also hired a Fellow (Will Troxler)!

Speaking of companies that hired Fellows...

I made a surprise stop to Pilot Environmental to visit Christina Sandstedt and her boss Michael Brame. And surprise I did. You should have seen her jump! It was worth the stop just for that. But it got even better. After Michael Brame and Brian Luckey told me how great a job Christina was doing, Michael gave me some Venison Sausage to take with me! That's what I'm talking about!

Thanks Michael!

Me and the kids enjoying some venison (David is trying to convince us to let him be a Zombie Lego for Halloween - make-up cred: Anna Rose)

ENJOYING THE PIEDMONT

On Friday, Greg Keener of the Piedmont Land Conservancy, gave us a personal tour of one of the properties they are protecting in Bethania.




The weather held up, and we were able not only to learn a bit, but have some fun along the way. 

Happy Birthday REESE!
 Friday was also Reese Schaffner's birthday, so after our hike we had an afternoon of fun at Reynolda, where we broke in his new Spikeball kit and celebrated post game at the Village Tavern.

MOUNTAIN WEEKEND

Christina, Alex, Jessica, Camille and Rahel showing off their pumpkin skills
 Lia and I had our fellowship group, I guess I'm supposed to say Life Group now, and the Fellows who could make it up to the mountains on Saturday for a little day of Fall Fun.

David is holding a pumpkin
Serious concentration around the table during a game of Spoons
Reese drove his motorcycle. Anna Rose only wore his helmet
Lip Sync Battle

Loving our pumpkin colored jackets



Christina, Alex and Reese

Anna Rose and her dog Summer
It was not warm...but it sure was fun!!!

FINANCE UPDATE

Donations are trickling in...thank you so much to those of you who have committed to supporting us this year. 

We received $5,370 in pledges and donations last week. That gets us just under 15% of our $40,000 fundraising goal. 

Please pray about how you could invest. There is no better time than today! Click here to do it now!


PRAYER and LOOKING FORWARD

Monday. Pray for the Young Life Banquet tonight. The Fellows will be there as adults. Pray for a spirit of generosity and inspiration!

Wednesday. Pray for the ABC Lunch on Wednesday. The Fellows are attending and serving at that event. Pray for more generosity!

Afterward, we are heading to the Center for Creative Leadership for another professional development day. 

Thursday we are meeting with the General Director of Spiritual Union of South Africa, Tony Nzahnzah. 

Friday, we have our last class with Professor David Speakman

Saturday, we are helping serve at The Awakening at Dash Stadium You should totally come!

Sunday, I'm preaching at Southside Community Church. COME IF YOU CAN: 
10:30am at the Enterprise Center on 1922 S. Martin Luther King Blvd. 

Then Sunday afternoon we are passing out candy down at Old Salem for Halloween. 

What a week!

Catching the sunrise on the way down to Winston-Salem
Here is the letter I wrote you about. 

from Brennan Manning's Signature of Jesus

I’m part of the fellowship of the unashamed.   I have the Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made– I’m a disciple of His.   I won’t look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.  My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I’m finished and done with low living, sight walking,  smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, worldly talking, cheap giving, and dwarfed goals.
I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don’t have to be right, first, tops, recognized,  praised,  rewarded. I now live by faith, lean in His presence, walk by patience, am uplifted by prayer, and I labor with power.
My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way rough, my companions are few,  my Guide  reliable, my mission is clear.  I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded or delayed.
I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.
I won’t give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, preached up for the cause of Christ.  I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And when He  comes for His own, He will have no problem recognizing me… my banner will be clear!

No comments: