Monday, October 31, 2016

UPDATE Year1 Week 10

UPDATE: HALLOWEEN EDITION

Anna Rose, Lia, Dave Dave and Ned's pumpkins

EVENT WEEK


We had an EVENTful week this week at the Winston-Salem Fellows.


Monday: we joined a large crowd in the basement of the Benton Convention Center for the Annual Young Life Banquet - one of my favorite evenings of the year. John Wagner, a Wake Grad and current Vice President of Young Life gave an impactful call to action. 

It was great to include the Fellows. Camille wants to be a Capernaum Leader now (Woo Hoo! She will be soooo good at that). more on Young Life Click Here


On Wednesday: we helped serve at the ABC Child Development Gourmet Lunch fundraiser. It was a powerful time. Camille, again, was incredibly engaged, and was so excited to introduce us to her Awesome Club director. 

I was so excited to meet Doug Flutie! (Didn't plan on us matching!) More on ABC Click Here


Then Thursday morning, bright and early: Chad Brown and I headed to Raleigh for a fundraising breakfast for Hope International. Click Here for More





If you didn't know it, great things are happening all around us! So honored to be invited to hear and support what is happening in our cities and around the world. 

OLD SALEM TRICK OR TREAT

Christina, Sean, Reese, Ned, Rahel, and Camille getting ready to pass out candy
We were also invited to help serve at the 7th Annual Trick or Treat in Old Salem Event on Sunday Evening. 

It was NUTS! (Actually nut-free because of allergy concerns). But man! I've never seen so many costumes in one place. In less than two hours, we each passed out easily 7,000+ pieces of candy (one per child!)

Camille Stogner as Herself
Sinbad the Sailer AKA Sean
We also lit 375 pumpkins. A Fellows record, I believe. 

Christina fulfilling a life long dream

Personally, my favorite part of the evening was watching Dave Dave pass out candy. He had so much joy - and told me later that he actually liked passing out candy more than going around getting it! that's my boy!!!

Passing out pencils.
He is Emmit from the Lego Movie
OTHER HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE WEEK

Thursday night, a few of us went out to John and Pat Gerstmeyer's home in Kernersville to meet and hear from Tony Nzah Nzah, the head of Scripture Union (a Young Life Partner) in South Africa. 

Christina said it was one of her favorite events so far. 

Friday night, several Fellows joined in a community potluck at the Glenn's home. 

So much love in this picture.
Others were involved with Homecoming at Wake Forest. 

Dakota and his band actually played pre-game!

Dakota and his bass
Others headed to Priddy's General Store by Hanging Rock for some blue grass and dancing

Julia and Jessica. Love the hat
Down by the Dan River for a campfire
Sunday morning, I preached at Southside Commuity Church. (Love those people). A few Fellows played hooky from their church to come and support me. 

We went out afterwards to an El Savador Restaurant called Cuchifrito (Coochie-Frito. Don't think they focused grouped the name very well...) 

I recommend the papusas
The food was delicious, and the company just as delightful. 

As for the sermon, I take some pride in the fact that according to my daughter, I mentioned Jesus 46 times and did not say Christian once! Ha! 

Here is a picture of another child's sermon notes. He pretty much got the whole sermon summed up on this one sheet of paper!

This pretty much sums up my sermon
Thanks Steve Angle for asking me to come. I'll do it any time. 

Here is a photo from River Oaks Community Church where Rahel was reading Scripture...

Rahel and I need stools some times
North, South, East or West - we have Fellows bringing it on Sunday mornings and evenings. Woo-Hoo!

CAR TRUBBLE

I took my car into the service department on Friday because the Coolant was a little low and my Engine Fan had been running after the car turned off. I thought that perhaps my Engine Filter had gotten dirty (it happens when you go to the mountains on dirt roads as much as we do). Turns out it was the radiator. Uh-Oh. 

Fortunately, it was three days under warranty!And a $1,600 bill went to $0. Praise Jesus!!! So glad I didn't wait until Monday. 

My loaner
So we have been driving this puppy around all weekend. My kids like it because "it smells good." 

"Well, if you helped me keep mine clean, ours wouldn't smell bad." Is what I say!

FINANCE UPDATE

This week, we brought in $4,400 in pledges and donations from several individuals and businesses, which brings our total to $9,770 for the fiscal year, just under 25% of our budget. That's awesome!

But we need your help to get us to our goal of $40,000. 

Please pray about how you can contribute. We don't need to be your biggest donation. But we believe that what we are doing here is something worthy of your support. 

To donate now. Click Here. 

To receive a support card and special gift from the Fellows, email winstonsalemfellows@gmail.com or Click Here. 

Or fill out the support card we have already sent you!

THANKS! With your help we can continue to make an impact here in Winston-Salem!

LOOKING FORWARD

Anna Rose and her Bunnicula

It's Halloween!

Several of our Fellows are having family nights with their Host Families. Others are having a family night with us and passing out candy at our house. 

It's a festive start for a VERY FULL WEEK!

Wednesday, we are having our Leader Lunch with Kathy Carr at SECU. Then, we are off to the Center for Creative Leadership for some Networking Training. Then, off to Charlie and Ruth Jones' hotel/house for dinner and a community worship night. 

Thursday morning, we are attending the Joe Gibbs Game Plan For Life Event. (Let me know if you want to join us, we have a few seats available). 

Friday, we have our first class with Jack Wilkerson. Then, we are heading to Chapel Hill for the Wilberforce Conference on Faith, Work and Justice. THEN, we are continuing on to Oxford, NC to Camp Oak Hill for the Regional Fellows Micah 6:8 Retreat. 

No rest for the weary. 

Lia is leaving for Phoenix on Thursday for a five day conference. Still figuring out what to do with the kiddos!!! That's a place you can pray. 

You can pray for me and my left foot. I injured it a week ago and it needs rest, which is something I don't like giving it. 

Otherwise, things are looking up! I can honestly say, there is no place I'd rather be. Thanks for encouraging me to be there!!!


I stopped by and had lunch with Anna Rose today
I found Dave Dave on the playground

I came to pump them up!!!






No comments: