Monday, August 21, 2017

UPDATE - ECLIPSE DAY - AUGUST 21

The Wait is Over!

View from the new Quarry Park


FELLOWS 2.0 

BEGINS @ 11AM THIS WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 23

I couldn't be more excited about this year.

Wednesday morning, Fellows from Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and and good old North Carolina will be converging on Winston-Salem to begin what we hope will be one of the most transformative years of their lives.

I couldn't be more excited about this group, nor be more excited about what we have in store for them. One of the best parts of my job is the opportunity I have to showcase this city and region.

The new Quarry Park above is merely one of the newest examples.

Right here in Winston. A gathering place of every color and background. Designed by local architects and developers. The Quarry Park was a sweet ending spot for a great anniversary date, and a spot to which I will certainly be taking our Fellows!


On Saturday, Lia and I celebrated our 17th Anniversary. It was a classic Ned and Lia date. We biked to Flint Hill Winery then to Kitchen Roselli's, one of our favorite restaurants, then drove down past Bowman Gray Stadium (Lia's favorite spot in Winston) to the new Quarry Park for sunset. Thanks to Grace Mezzy and her friend Emily who gifted us babysitting. A great night.

BIG SURPRISING NEWS!!!


On Monday, my great friend at the North Carolina Study Center, Madison Perry, called me to ask if we had any more spots available. I said, "As a matter of fact, we are open to one more."

He told me Tate Heisler is the one.

Tate!

I've met Tate a couple times. A Young Life Leader, counselor at Summer's Best Two Weeks, living at Park Place - Tate impressed me a year and a half ago when I first talked to him after speaking at Chapel Hill's Young Life Leadership.

A whirlwind week ensued - with several phone conversations, an expedited yet well-done application, multiple in person interviews with key folks, discussions with board and church partners - all of which led to the extension of an offer on Saturday, which he promptly responded with a YES!

After all the work we put into some of these Fellows that don't pan out - having Tate fall in our laps is one last reminder (as if we needed one) that God totally has this!

Welcome Tate! We are so glad you are joining us.

OTHER HIGHLIGHTS


I had the privilege of hanging out with Brad Cox, David Keller, Josh Benoit, Jason Whitener, Karver Bolton, and Stephen Edwards on Thursday to watch the Wyndham on probably THE HOTTEST day of the year!

Thank God for the Army Outpost that handed out free drinks to veterans (and their friends). (Thank you for your service Brad!) We walked by their tent like ten times!

I took this picture of the Wyndham sign in honor of my good friends at Salem Sports and the Graphics Design Team, which includes Grace Mezzy!

She had a lifelong friend as well as her sister swing into town this week, so our house was swelling!

Grace and her sister Sarah Mezzy at the Winston-Salem Open


Later that Thursday, I went straight from the golf course to the homeless shelter!

With Chad Brown, Chuck Long and David Speakman - we tore up some Hobart and had a fabulous (and basically sleepless) night serving at Samaritan Inn. 

The day before, representatives of our Church Partners, Brian Edmonds, David Speakman, Peter Barnes, and Tripp Sanders met with me to synergize and pray over the coming Fellows year.

On Friday, we interviewed Tate from 11-5!

I was pretty tired Friday night.

One other shout out: Ashley Trewhella came to town for the week to nanny for us. THANK YOU ASHLEY!


LOOKING FORWARD

AUGUST 23rd - ORIENTATION (UNDISCLOSED LOCATION(S))
AUGUST 26th - RETURN AND ATTEND EITHER WS OPEN OR SCHMEDFEST OR BOTH!
AUGUST 27th (morning) - FELLOWS INSTALLED AT CHURCHES AROUND THE CITY
AUGUST 27th (evening) - WELCOME CELEBRATION
AUGUST 28th (day) - FIRST DAY OF WORK
AUGUST 28th (evening) - FIRST ROUND TABLE


Anna Rose loves Lucky

A great week at Hidden K Stables

David and I went fishing. He out dueled me 4-2

I can't get enough of that view!
Thanks all for your support!!!

Keep sharing the story and spreading the love.

No comments: